Jump to recipe
I always think of these as Holiday Cookies. Since tomorrow is Easter I thought this would be a good time to share the recipe. Main ingredients are egg whites and sugar. Enjoy!
Oh, before you get started. The recipe below calls for the use of a pastry bag with a star (decorative) end. You can use a pastry bag with a hole cut in the bottom. Or simply use a spoon to plop the meringue onto the cookie sheets. Don’t worry…once baked they will all taste the same no matter what their shape.
1. For additional flavor options, add cinnamon or use peppermint (or any other flavored) extract instead of vanilla.
2. You can also add food coloring (just a drop will do) to change the color.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt (about 1/16 tsp)
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (the cookies will not spread while baking).
- Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on low speed in a large mixing bowl with electric hand mixer until foamy with electric hand mixer (or a stand mixer).
- Set mixer to high speed and gradually add sugar. (You can use a tablespoon. ) Sugar should dissolve between each addition. (Give about 20 seconds between each addition.)
- Mixture should begin to form stiff peaks and it will actually become thick, fluffy and shiny. (It's very important to make sure that all of the sugar has dissolved.)
- Stir in vanilla extract by using a low mixture setting or a spoon.
- Fill a large pastry bag fitted with a large star end (or whatever you have and can even just cut a small hole in the end of the bag).
- Fill the bag with meringue and pipe onto baking sheets. (Remember they won't spread.)
- Bake in the over for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the oven off after time has elapsed, but do not open the door. Allow the cookies to cool completely with the door closed for 1 to 2 hours.
© 2022 Copyright FODMAP Friendly Recipes
Once done the cookies will be crispy. Store in an airtight container to keep away from moisture or they will lose their crispiness. Also, keep them away from heat or they will melt.